Airline tickets - must have boarding pass with you to board the plane

Passport – must have with you to board the plane and to enter the United States.

Visa – must have with you to board the plane and to enter the United States.

Emergency contact information – bring one copy of information with you and leave another copy with your family or other emergency contacts.

Copies of passport and visa – bring one set of copies with you and leave another set of copies with your family or other emergency contacts.

Photocopies of credit cards and other important personal information – leave copies with your family or other emergency contacts.  This is only a suggestion and is not required.

Prescription medicine– Eyeglasses (if you use them). Reading materials / music for the long flights.

Anything you can’t afford to lose in your checked luggage (that is permissible), you should place in your carry-on.

Bring a sweater or jacket as the plane can sometimes be cold.

The UConn shuttle is available for transportation between BDL and the campus for $60 each way.  The shuttle is not available from other airports.  If you would like to use the shuttle, you must make a reservation and submit payment directly with UConn Transportation prior to arrival.  Payment/reservations will not be not accepted on the day of your arrival at the shuttle.  Information about the shuttle and reservations is available at

IREX and World Learning Students: Your sponsoring organizations will make the shuttle reservations for you.

The shuttle will drop you off at your on-campus lodging accommodations for the duration of your visit.  UConn housing staff will assist with the check-in process.

The following two links to the University of Connecticut Website and the UConn Campus Map will better orient you with the university and all that it has to offer.

You will be staying in on-campus dorms while you study at the University of Connecticut. The application for housing is required, and you can use your NetID to log into the UConn on-campus housing application at  UConn ResLife will select a your room at the end of July and then notify you of your dorm assignment.  Your UConn NetID (three letters followed by five numbers) was sent in an automated email from UConn to your home email address, with instructions about activating your NetID and setting your password.

Classrooms and dining facilities are all within a ten to twenty minute walk from your dorm.

The UConn campus has wifi that will be available for participants to use.

Each residence area has washers and dryers so you can do laundry.

The average high temperature in Connecticut in October is in the 50s°F / 15°C and the average low is around 40°F / 5°C.  The average high temperature in Connecticut in March is in the 40s°F / 5°C and the average low is around 28°F / -2°C. Expect to see temperatures below 32°F / 0°C, but temperatures begin to warm up slightly in April.

It is suggested that you bring clothes that will allow you to dress in layers, such as a shirt with a sweater or pull-over on top of the shirt, to allow you to adjust to the varying temperatures.

Raincoat or other waterproof jacket.

Flip-flops or shower shoes might be helpful.

Electric shaver, razors, or other grooming equipment.

Compact umbrella or a plastic poncho.

A pair of closed-toe and comfortable walking shoes.

Sunglasses – nice to have but not required

Layered clothing – Layering will allow you to adjust to the varying temperatures of going in and out of air conditioning/heating throughout the day. Layered clothing includes a shirt with a sweater or pull-over on top of the shirt.

Classroom and Community Service Attire– On days spent in the classroom or doing community service, the dress code is casual to business casual. No jacket or tie is required. Comfortable shirts, pants, shorts, skirts and shoes are acceptable.

Weekend and Night Activities Attire– Same as classroom attire.

Backpack (ruck sack) for class and day trips – or any bag of your choice

Camera, if you want to take photos

Electrical adapter – the U.S. relies on alternating current, 60 cycles, 120 volts.

Your UConn ID card will function as your meal card as well for entry into the dining halls on campus.

There are ATM (Automatic Teller) banking machines on campus for easy access to cash. Locations are:

  • Bookstore
  • Student Union
  • Babbidge Library
  • Wilbur Cross Building
  • South Campus Dining Hall

If you do not have an ATM card, be prepared with cash in dollars.

Bring cash with you on the plane which you can exchange at the airport (enough for the first couple of days).

If you have a ATM or credit card and plan to use it in the U.S., you should call the company to alert them that you might be using your card in the U.S., to ensure service.  Western Union is not located nearby, so you should not plan on having family send you money through this method.

We recommend that you use banking apps, such as Venmo or Cash, if you need to transfer money.  However, a U.S. bank account is required to use these apps.  People's Bank is located on campus in the UConn Bookstore building, and Bank of America and Webster Bank are located within walking distance of campus.

Cell Phones: In order to use your foreign smartphone in the U.S., you must purchase a monthly phone plan which will include a U.S. SIM card.  (If your smartphone is not unlocked, you will need to use the cell phone company which is compatible with your phone - AT&T or T-Mobile for GSM networks or Verizon for CDMA networks).

AT&T and T-Mobile have locations in Storrs Center shopping area, which is within walking distance of your dorm.

Since international calling is expensive, we suggest you use wi-fi to make international phone calls using an online app such as WhatsApp or Skype.  Wi-fi access is free and available throughout the UConn Storrs campus.

Internet: There will be wireless internet access throughout campus for you to connect to the internet from your own device if applicable. Also, there are also computers available in the Library with internet access. Participants are encouraged to use Skype and/or email to communicate with their families since these services are free of charge.

Local U.S. Contact Information:

The following contact information should be used for Emergency Situations Only:

  • Primary contact:
    Roy Pietro, Director, UConn Global Training and Development Institute
    Office Phone: + 1  860-486-4252
    Alternate Office Number: +1 860-486-0235
    Cell Phone: +1 860-335-3057
  • Mailing Address if you need something shipped to you:
    YourFirstName YourLastName
    University of Connecticut
    YourDormBuilding YourDormRoomNumber (example, McMahon 301)
    Storrs, CT  06269

In the United States, smoking is prohibited in public areas, especially inside buildings. Most offices and organizations have a designated smoking area outside the building.  At UConn, smoking is prohibited inside all university buildings on campus and outside of all building entrance areas.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be available at on-campus dining halls. Further information on dining hall services can be accessed at

UConn Health Insurance is provided by Cigna, and specific details about the plan are available at

Please download and complete Student Health History Form from the UConn Student Health Services webpage: The completed form must be signed by a doctor and submitted to UConn Student Health Services by scanning and uploading to the Student Health Portal at After uploading the form, please keep a copy to bring with you to UConn.

Immunization Requirements are posted online at

IREX-Tunisia and World Learning Students:  You will be covered by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ (ECA) Accident and Sickness Program for Exchanges (ASPE)/Seven Corners.  The ASPE program does not cover the costs associated with routine check-ups or with examinations or complications associated with pre-existing conditions.  You are responsible for the paying UConn for any co-pays for doctor visits and for any expenses not covered by the insurance.  Coverage begins on August 15th.  Detailed information regarding the ASPE plan is available here

For true medical emergencies while in the U.S., dial 9-1-1 for an immediate emergency medical response to the situation.

If you do not feel well and think that you need to see a doctor or receive medical treatment and it is not an emergency situation, please contact visit Student Health Services on campus to be seen by a medical professional.

Remember to pack any medicines or prescriptions that you need with you.

UConn is committed to providing all visitors with a safe and enjoyable experience. Full-time police and fire forces are located on campus. A campus escort safety service is available in the evenings.

For true emergencies while in the U.S., dial 9-1-1 for an immediate emergency response to the situation.

  • The university campus has its own shuttle bus system. The shuttle bus is free. Campus bus routes are available at
  • Most of the areas on campus that you will need to go are no more than a 10 to 15 minute walk from your dorm, but the campus shuttle is available if you prefer.

All university campus services are within 10 to 15 minutes walking distance from the apartment.

Homer Babbidge Library: The main library on the Storrs campus.  The library is an excellent place to study.  It also has a café/coffee bar, computer terminals, phones, quiet study areas and study tables.

UConn Student Union: Home to a large food court, movie theater, sit down restaurant, ATMs, convenience grocery store, video game room, study lounges and center for many activities on campus.  Visit for more information.

UConn Bookstore: The official bookstore for the University of Connecticut. The campus store where books, study aids, university imprinted items such as sports wear and gift ware and other items of interest, living supplies and amenities, snacks, computer equipment, school supplies, and other items can be purchased. Visit for more information.

Recreation Facility/Field House: For individuals interested in fitness and athletics. The fitness center has a huge selection of workout equipment and athletic activities including a pool and indoor track. There are fees to use the field house equipment. Visit for more information.

Jorgensen Center for Performing Arts: Hosts plays, musicals, concerts and other performances throughout the year.  Some performances are free and some require purchase of a ticket. Visit for more information.

IREX and World Learning Students: Please ask for approval from your sponsoring organization before travel.

The online self-registration option is not available for nondegree students in this program, but you can view the course options available for Fall 2017 by visiting and clicking on the Guests – View Courses button at the left.  A minimum of 12 credits per semester is required to maintain full-time status, and you may take up to a maximum of 15 credits per semester.

You may enroll in any introductory courses that do not have prerequisites and have seats available.  For any courses that do have prerequisites, you should email the instructor to describe your background in the topic and ask for a permission number to enroll. The permission number should  be written on the registration form as needed.

(Please do not use the general UConn Catalog of courses, since this contains every course UConn has ever offered, and sometimes students get confused because it is not limited to the courses actually being offered this semester.)

When your registration form is completed, please email this back to for enrollment.

Your academic advisor will be able to assist with course selections within your major area:

Major Advisor
Animal Science
Biomedical Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Political Science